What Galathea 3 means for the Danes
The international consultancy company Rambøll Management has presented the results of a survey of Danes’ knowledge of and attitudes towards the recently completed Galathea 3 Expedition.
The research was carried out in early May using several methods including telephone interviews to gather a general consensus from the Danish population aged over 17.
924 people were interviewed.
Significant findings of the survey were the fact that 82.8% of interviewees had heard of Galathea 3 and 58.1% had consistently followed the progress of the expedition (some several times a week, others perhaps once monthly). 23% had discussed the expedition with their friends and 21.7% said that Galathea 3 had influenced their view of research and science. 30.8% of parents questioned had talked the event over with their children.
“We are very pleased with the results of the survey”, said the Danish Expedition Foundation secretariat’s director, Jens Claus Hansen. “Galathea 3 has done very well in the fight for consumers’ attention. I think it’s great, for instance that people have obviously talked about Galathea 3 with their friends and colleagues and that many parents have said it was a topic of discussion with their children. This is a clear indicator that the project was an eye-opener, just as we had hoped it would be”.
Some other findings:
- 60.6% were very, or decidedly positive about the expedition
- 7.7% were very, or decidedly negative
- TV was the main source of information about Galathea 3
- There was significant support (81.6%) for the idea of using the Galathea 3 project to combine communication and research activities
- 48.9% believe that the result will be an increase in children’s and young people’s interest in the natural sciences
- 36.3% thought that Galathea 3 would inspire students to embark on further education in the sciences
- 83.1% considered it a priority to strengthen young people's interest in research
- Responses to examples from the various research areas were distinctly positive